EH&S Manager GCC – Quincy, IL (July 26, 2019)
Location: Quincy, IL, US
Company: JM Huber Corporation
Portfolio Business: Huber Engineered Materials
J.M. Huber Corporation is one of the largest privately held, family-owned companies in the United States. Established in 1883, we are a diversified, global supplier of specialty and commodity chemicals, hydrocolloid solutions, engineered wood products and natural resources to customers spanning a wide variety of industries. With approximately $2.3 billion in sales and 4,000 employees worldwide, we have a material presence in more than 20 countries.
Purpose of Job:
Provide technical safety, health & environmental support to the Quincy IL site, including a manufacturing operations, underground mining operations, and our process engineering groups. Develop & coordinate site environmental, health and safety programs and objectives and coordinate EHS training programs at the Quincy, Illinois site. Monitor environmental, health and safety regulations and provide technical support to personnel to ensure compliance with MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration) Federal, State, local and internal environmental, health and safety. Provide leadership, drive and maintain our Environmental and Safety Management system.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
1. Ensures site facilities comply with MSHA along with other Federal, State, local and internal safety , health and environmental regulations, programs and guidelines by a) maintaining and monitoring the compliance assurance system including permit status and requirements, methods, compliance calendar, and audits; b) providing technical safety, health and environmental support and information to site personnel; c) preparing and implementing written safety, health and environmental programs and policies; d) identifying safety, health and environmental training needs and developing and delivering relevant training programs; and e) participating in product/process reviews including process hazard analysis, employee training, etc.
2. Provides site-wide and mine service to a) implement engineering controls to minimize safety and occupational health hazards; b) maintain safety library (e.g. videos, regulations, reference manuals); c) promote safety and health awareness through internal company memoranda, newsletters, and specific training programs; and d) reviews process operating procedures/batch records, etc. and provides inputs for safety and health considerations.
3. Takes proactive measures to safeguard personnel and assets, by a) advising manufacturing, Mining, engineering groups, the Quincy Leadership team etc. of regulatory changes with which the plants must comply. Sufficient advance notice should be provided so that compliance on the effective date of new regulations is assured. b) periodically auditing practices and records to ensure compliance with company programs and Federal/State/local occupational safety, health and environmental regulations; c) monitoring lost-time injuries/illnesses and Worker’s Compensation Claims; d) conducting and reviewing safety committee meeting minutes and safety inspection reports, and injury/illness and non-injury incident investigation reports and following-up as necessary.
4. Implement Corporate EHS policies, procedures, and programs in Sustainability, and Environmental Management System based on Huber Sustainability Management System.
5. Develop, implement and update environmental compliance plans based on the site regulatory requirements ( Federal, State & Local permits, agreements, off permit requirements and other regulatory requirements)
6. Completes all daily, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports required by local, state and federal regulations and internal reporting to the EHS corporate department.
7. Performs and/or coordinates industrial hygiene and environmental sampling and monitoring to ensure compliance with governmental regulations and best practices for both safety and environmental regulations.
Decision Making Authority
Decision Making Authority:
This position has a wide range of decision-making authority such as people, resources, spare parts, maintenance & repairs, process controls, supplies, environmental, safety, product development, project development & employee development.
Specialized/Technical Knowledge or Required Skills
- Education: Bachelors in a safety science/engineering/industrial hygiene discipline, environmental science/engineering or chemical engineering, and knowledge of chemical manufacturing operations.
- Experience: 5-10 years experience
- CSP/CHMM/CIH credentials preferred
- Underground Part 46/48 MSHA experience
- Must have good comprehension of management systems and risk based prioritization
- Proficient in the English language (oral and written)
- Recognizable leadership skills
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Demonstrated people influencing skills
- Effective facilitator and communicator
- Capable of developing and giving training.
- Working knowledge of Federal, State and Local occupational safety, health and environmental laws and regulations.
- Proficient in the use and application of PCs, and related office applications.
- Ability to effectively deal with other people, especially other company personnel, to enlist needed cooperation in implementing regulatory requirements.
- Ability to productively deal with regulatory agencies, consultants and other contractor personnel.
- Ability to make explicit engineering recommendations for equipment layout/design changes to effect safety improvements.
Bachelors in Science or Environmental Science
Our employees are our strongest asset, and their safety, health, and well-being is our highest priority. We respect the individual by providing opportunities for professional and personal development. Our Principles drive us to create an inclusive workplace where employees share core values, show dignity and respect toward others, and work hard to achieve their best performance.
J.M. Huber Corporation is an EEO / AAP employer. Pre-employment drug screening is required
Follow link to apply.